Smart homes seem to be all the buzz these days … but what exactly goes into making your home a “smart” home? And is it something that you even really need? We broke down some of the key questions to consider when buying your first smart home product.
- What makes this product “smart”? Does it offer an added peace of mind (remote camera access, alerts you of potential break-ins, alerts you of potential environmental hazards in the home)? More convenience (remote control of your home)? Saves energy? What does it show you about your home that you didn’t know before?
- How easy it to set up and use? We all love smart products, but we also want to make sure they’re simple to set up and use! Does it require complex installation, or is it essentially ready to go out of the box? Do you need to have any extra cables or cords to get it set up?Also, how easy is it to move around? If you love to travel or like the idea of taking your home with you wherever you go, portability is always a big question. How easy is it to take a product with you, and how easily will it fit into a new home?
- How is it getting smarter over time? Part of the promise of the smart home is that it’s not just another piece of hardware you buy for your home — it’s something that has the ability to constantly improve over time … and you’ll want to make sure your first smart home product can do just that!
- Can I connect it to other products in my home? What other products will it work with? How do they work together? You’ll likely be thinking about how to build out your home with other smart home products/services in the future, so how can they all connect together?
- How does it make your home more you? As great as smart home products are, you’ll want to consider how they fit into your home. Does the design complement your personal style? How can you personalize and customize it to make it even “more you”?