One of the principles we’ve built Sentri around from the very start is that it’s always getting smarter — and doing so in a way that doesn’t require you to do a thing! Every couple weeks (or less some times ;)), Sentri gets a fresh new update that improves the experience (optimizing performance, fixing bugs) AND also adds some cool new functionality. What have we updated recently? Take a look below — and make sure your Sentri has all the latest and greatest:
v1.7.511110 (released 11/11)
- Device control on the Sentri screen — Now you can control your WeMo switches, Hue lights, and Nest thermostat straight from the Sentri touchscreen! (swipe right twice from the main screen to access this screen)
- Remove connected devices — Want to remove the devices you have connected to Sentri? No problem — go into the settings screen (swipe left once) and click “Remove connected devices”. Also available on the iOS and Android apps
- Playback video alerts straight from the Sentri screen — Review your videos directly from Sentri itself on the “timeline” view (swipe right once to access)
- New Theme: Auto-rotating backgrounds — Automatically change up your Sentri’s look and feel with a theme that automatically rotates through our collection of custom backgrounds
v1.7.511190 (released 11/19)
- Military Time — Prefer to read your time as 16:45? We added the option for you to choose to display your time in either 12 or 24 hour time
- Eco Mode — Schedule when your Sentri screen turns ‘off’ (by default, we’ve set it to be between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.), or choose to manually turn your Sentri screen ‘off’ or ‘on’. Tap it once to wake your Sentri up for 30 seconds
v1.7.51202 (released 12/2)
- Your unit has been updated! — Receive an alert every time your unit has been updated along with the update version
v1.7.512090 (released 12/9)
- Manually update your Sentri — Missed out on the latest update? Manually trigger an update to make sure your Sentri is updated with the latest and greatest
Coming in the next two weeks
- Add your own pictures! — Connect your Dropbox directly to Sentri and customize the look and feel of your Sentri with your own pictures
What should you look for when buying your first smart home product?
Smart homes seem to be all the buzz these days … but what exactly goes into making your home a “smart” home? And is it something that you even really need? We broke down some of the key questions to consider when buying your first smart home product.
- What makes this product “smart”? Does it offer an added peace of mind (remote camera access, alerts you of potential break-ins, alerts you of potential environmental hazards in the home)? More convenience (remote control of your home)? Saves energy? What does it show you about your home that you didn’t know before?
- How easy it to set up and use? We all love smart products, but we also want to make sure they’re simple to set up and use! Does it require complex installation, or is it essentially ready to go out of the box? Do you need to have any extra cables or cords to get it set up?Also, how easy is it to move around? If you love to travel or like the idea of taking your home with you wherever you go, portability is always a big question. How easy is it to take a product with you, and how easily will it fit into a new home?
- How is it getting smarter over time? Part of the promise of the smart home is that it’s not just another piece of hardware you buy for your home — it’s something that has the ability to constantly improve over time … and you’ll want to make sure your first smart home product can do just that!
- Can I connect it to other products in my home? What other products will it work with? How do they work together? You’ll likely be thinking about how to build out your home with other smart home products/services in the future, so how can they all connect together?
- How does it make your home more you? As great as smart home products are, you’ll want to consider how they fit into your home. Does the design complement your personal style? How can you personalize and customize it to make it even “more you”?
With Veterans’ Day this Wednesday, we are grateful for the men and women who embody the value of protecting what matters. Peace of mind is something that carries over into our homes — and in honor of Veteran’s Day, here are some steps to take to protect what matters in your home.
When we think of home, what comes to mind? More than a physical space, we think of our family, our pets, belongings, the memories that go along with it … the list goes on. But how exactly do we safeguard the things we love and protect what matters? Traditional means of security like door locks only go so far, and houses and cars are still constantly being broken into (did you know that a home in the US is broken into once every 13 seconds? Source: FBI)
In addition to locking your doors and windows when you leave, you can use a few of these ideas to keep your home safe.
- Try setting automatic lights so it looks like there’s someone home. Burglars are far less likely to enter an occupied house. You can use an automatic light timer, or, if you want to be able to turn off your lights anywhere, try a WeMo smart switch!
- Make sure to place your valuables in a security safe or tucked away in secret, obscure places. In the event of a robbery, the last thing you want taken is your family heirlooms and jewelry.
- Consider investing in a security system. Homes with security are far less likely to be burgalar You can hire a security company to install home-wide alarms and sensors; or, if you’re looking for something more cost-effective and compact, consider getting a self-monitoring solution like Sentri. Either way, be sure to take advantage of modern sensor and camera technology to ensure that your home is secure.
Thanks to our troops and veterans for their courage and bravery, and helping #protectwhatmatters!